The department of Statistics started in the college as an independent subject in the faculty at is intermediate level in the year 1975-76. The subject was introduced in the intermediate science as 4the optional subject in the year 1979-80.
In recent days it established as one of the advanced branch of modern science and has a wide says of application. Statistics as has become an indispensable to all in all branches of science, research methodology, teaching economics, business and all advanced technology. Besides the basic knowledge of the subject is of help today students for immense passing higher studies in engineering, medical, management and other allied subjects.
Courses Offered :
The syllabus is made by the council of higher educations Orissa and it covers almost all chapters dealing with basic knowledge of statistics and its application today in various fields.
The syllabus includes the following chapters :
(1) Basic mathematics.
(2) Statistical method.
(3) Theory of probability.
(4) Time series.
(5) Index numbered.
(6) Theory of Sampling.
(7) Testing of hypothesis and large sample lists.
(8) Statistical system in India .
(1) Laboratory/other Facilities:-1) A laboratory is provided if the students today carryout experimental works related today various problems. A demonstrator is there in the laboratory today to help the students in solving the problem.
(2) Quite a good number of books are proceeded to the students as text and reference books in the library of Junior college.
(3) There is a provision for discussion and clarifications of doubts in practical classes.
Department Structure :
One lecturer, One Demonstrator, One Store-Keeper, One Peon.
Dr.(Smt.) Rita Pati
Designation : Reader in Statistics
Qualification : M.Sc, Ph.D
Address (Office) : Lecturer in Statistics, BJB Junior College ,Bhubaneswar-14, (Residence) Plot No-7, Ashok Nagar, Bhubaneswar-9,
Phone No : (0674-2531064) /9437411582
Specialization : Sampling.
Research work : Estimation of finite population characteristics on successive occasion
Paper Publication :
(1) Published one paper in the journal Sankhyikee, Vol-5, PP 9-13 titled. Estimation of finite population variance under successive sampling.
(2) One paper published in the book “ Current Development in Survey Sampling” Edited By Dr. A.K.P.C Swain and edited by modern book depot.
Titled : Estimation of finite population ratio on to occasion. I am continuing independent research work in the subject sampling on successive occasion. Projects undertaken Nil
Achievement : Awarded Ph.D in Statistics from Utkal University (1999).
Any Other Information : Completed one refresher course in statistics and one orientation course in IT as require by the UGC for promotion to next higher scale.
Student information :-
No of Students : 112 in +2 Science ,16 in +2 Arts (for both +2 1 st yr and 2 nd yr)
Total No of Students : 256
(1) Every year 8-9 Students from the best 20 of the CHSE Examination in both Arts and Science have Statistics as optional subjects. (2) The student passing out from this institute having statistics as one of the subjects are pursuing higher studies in ISI, IITS, NITS and other institution national and international repute. many of them were observed in reputed companies in MIT, IIS, Indian Statistical Service and other Administrative Post of the state and country